Thursday, May 17, 2007

Understanding my father

I don't think I will ever understand my father's choices.



Last month, he sounded as if he had something he was reluctant to tell us. I now know what that is.



For reasons only known to himself, my father has reunited with his wife, this one being the one he recently split up with a few months ago. This is also the marriage I consider a  complete farce, since in my eyes, there is no relationship there, only dominance and submission. He went for an eye operation recently, and is now staying at her place again, with his her son.



I will never understand why my father would even want to go into back into a relationship that is fully dominated by her, consider she has almost no regard for his welfare. She is a totally selfish person, who cares more about herself and her son than my father. Surely even my father has eyes to see that. The son, at age 16 has a car to drive, courtesy of the mother, while my father continues to take the bus. How can a wife and mother be so mixed up in her priorities? Actually, she is not. She knows what she doing exactly, and she is taking care of the person that matters to her, and in that list, my father perhaps ranks the lowest.



And now, my father wants to take my bike to ride to and from work. I promised the bike to my girlfriends younger brother, since he is starting college soon. But now that my father has requested for it, I find myself unable to refuse him.My mother is totally against it. She did pay for it. My brother is not getting involved. But I find it absolutely ridiculous, since I know that his wife has a spare car lying around, driven by a step son who doesnt even have a drivers license for crying out loud. But as a son, I do not think I can refuse his request. I related this to my brother, and he said that I should give priority to my own flesh and blood, instead of others. I know that my girlfriends brother would be disappointed at me for backtracking on my word, and so, my heart longs to say these words to my father.



"As a son, I will give you the motorbike to use now that you have requested it. It is something I do out of love and as a filial son. I do this at the cost of breaking a promise I made to someone else, who is also dear to me. I find it hard to accept that you would rather ask this of me that to stand up to your wife and ask for what should rightfully be yours in a normal marriage and household. I have to make the difficult and painful choice of depriving a college going boy of his only means of transportation, while your step son happily drives around in a car which was meant for you, without a license with the only intention of showing off and looking cool to his friends. This is the difference between real family love and that which is fake. As painful as it might be, I will make this sacrifice for you, because you are my father. Please remember that when you start to consider who your family is."