Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Interesting sights in Borneo

Here's a sight you dont see everyday. One I unfortunately happen to come across during my vacation. Not my first really. In 7 days, I managed to miraculously come across no less than 3 of these sort of guys so liberally using these 'natural made' facilities. All while I was on vacation.


Either its my bad luck, or these folks really love 'going back to mother nature'.

In any case, I can't possibly imagine how some of these 'public-pissers' (for want of a better name) can be so casual about the matter. You are pissing in public in broad day light? And you even got your photo taken while you were at it, and now its going to be posted onto the internet by some tourist! Maybe these guys just havent gotten used to our toilets, what with the inconvenience of doors and flushes, the need to wash & dry, and since the guy next to you will take a 'peep' anyway, might as well go green. There's a cool breeze down under, no crowding or lining up and best of all it's fertilizer for the plants. Its a small town, so no ones going to sue you for doing in public. Unlike in cities, you'd probably be fined and thrown in jail.




But don't make the mistake of thinking these small town folks don't take things seriously when it matters. Just look at what I saw at the morning market.

I don't know what he was selling, but that helmet sure reassured me that this guy was serious about selling. Bargaining and haggling in the treacherous Borneo markets is not for the faint hearted. In a land where head hunting was akin to hunting for rabbits, and severed heads of your enemy were as trendy as the latest ipod, you need all the protection you can get. That helmet practically speaks for itself. I just wonder why the guy next to him wasn't wearing one.



These people really take their food seriously. Nothing goes to waste, and when they drink coconut, the best part is of course, the fibrous coconut itself. Hmm.. tasty...




But everyone going to wild and green Borneo are surely there for the exotic animals. The best animal shots I got while there were (drum roll pls):







a tiger






a monkey






and an obnoxious ostrich






The folk here are really camera shy, and every time I tried taking a photo of them,



they run like Daffy Duck




But once in a while, a friendly village elder comes along, and you catch a glimpse of that one-in-a-million smile every photographer tries to immortalize.



Who says Sarawak isn't interesting eh?



*I'm dead meat if my friend reads this. :-p