Friday, July 06, 2007

Care for a hug there luv?

I guess there was always going to be some sort of culture shock when staying in a foreign land.
I thought getting used to the cold weather and eating bread and pasta everyday was just about the biggest culture shock I was going to experience.

But just the other day while walking home, I saw it. Please forgive me if I may seem crude.
There were 2 men walking in front of me towards my direction. They were having some sort of argument. The bigger guy stopped, and started shouting at the other guy. They were standing on the close side, but there were tears rolling town the cheek of the bigger guy. After some heated exchanged, the hugged and continued walking. As I passed them by, I could still see and hear the big guy talking and crying.

Now, perhaps I was wrong, but that looked every bit like a lover’s quarrel, which is really fine, if not for the fact that there was a lack of a female side to it. As discriminating as this may sound, I still can never get used to see the sight of 2 full grown men holding hands, smacking each other on the buttocks or hugging like lovers. Lets not even begin to mention kissing or love making.
I kept a straight face, and walked pass them as if nothing were going on. As far as I made to understood, the good people of Britain have gone out of their way to prevent discrimination against people whether it because of the colour of their skin, ethnic origin, disability, religious belief or sexual orientation/preference. Which is really a great thing when you think about it; they can’t really control how the man on the street thinks, but at least you put it in letter in the law to prevent such acts to be done openly. So I thought to myself, hey, I’m in Britain, and the people here don’t discriminate against people who are different from themselves, I could at least try to respect that.

But it doesn’t stop me from coming home, sitting in front of the computer and just try to digest what I saw.

Here was 2 full grown men, holding hands, hugging each other, and chances are, at some point in time, they’d probably kiss and *ahem*.. make love. Which is really strange if not downright bizarre to me. I find it next to impossible to have anything more than brotherly love for another guy. How can you develop romantic feelings for a person of the same sex? I honestly find it impossible to imagine myself in their shoes, developing feelings for my best buddy, wanting to be near him….., hold his hand…… and kiss him……. even typing it is tough! You play football with your buddy, you watch movies together, play cards, tell jokes, have drinks and a whole range of things, but the last thing you would want to do is hold their hand tell them how much it means to you to be with him, and that you cant stand when other guys come up to him and chat him up! It feels…….. unnatural. I am fully aware that being gay is more than just being sexually attracted to another guy, it comes with the full range of feelings of a normal relationship. But coming down to the actually love making part, it numbs my mind and I find myself totally speechless as to what to say…. unlike in a normal relationship, the sum of the parts don’t quite fit. Forgive the lack of a better example, but its like you’ve got 2 screwdrivers, but you have don’t have any holes to screw. *that sounded dirtier than I intended*

I have since come across many gay couples while walking around town. I guess the nice thing about a law that is against discrimination is that people can be who they want to be, dress the way they want, and think the way they want and everybody can still live in peace. The law doesn’t try to shape how you are supposed to think, neither is it asking you to treat everybody as the same, but that you treat everyone as equals. They have the right to feel the way they do, while I have a right to my opinions.