Sunday, December 10, 2006

Santa Claus is coming to hospital

Here comes Santa Claus!

Guess who’s going to become Santa Claus this year? Yup, yours truly has turned from guitarist to the big man in red for this years caroling in the hospital……..

For the past two years, I have been the guitarist, playing the songs, and guiding the group in singing the Christmas carols around the hospital. My classmate was Santa for two years… but this year, being the last time we’ll be doing this, he wanted to play some other role. So our original Santa became our new photographer, as since one I was a guy, and second, I already have a big belly, I was the next natural choice. I’m not sure whether to feel flattered or insulted….. :-P

In all honesty, I would want very much just to remain the guitarist. But since it IS our last time, I guess trying something different wouldn’t be too bad a change. After all, just how often does a man get to play Santa in his life right? Just don’t expect me to go “Ho ho ho…..” Who ever said Santa had to laugh like that? Our Santa for the past two years was certainly different. He didn’t try anything fancy, but neither did he bother to conform to what we all think Santa should be like. Most prominent of which was the shoes. We all think Santa wears boots, but this friend of mine didn’t have any boots, or a black shoe for the matter. So, he ended up wearing sneakers! AND1 basketball shoes… bright red and white. What do you think of that? Santa is supposed to be old, slow and fatherly. But our Santa was young vibrant and certainly no father figure…. Zooming in and out of rooms, shouting Merry Christmas here and there, our Santa; all geared up for a game of 3 on 3 was more ‘HipHop Santa’ than anything else.

Still it was cute, and we all loved him for it.... So how will this guitarist turned Santa do this time? I dont really know.... but i definitely wont be wearing sneakers. I'm not even sure of my duties. As far as i know, I'm just supposed to go around the wards, spreading the Christmas cheer, giving out candy to little children, and adults who think they are still one. I asked if i was even allowed to give the elderly patients candy, or the diabetes patients for the matter. Wont i end up killing one of these poor folk? Maybe i should be distributing protein shakes or vitamins instead? It makes more sense. But I dont think people would expect Santa to be giving out vitamins shouting "Ho..ho.. ho... exercise 3 times a week, 20minutes a day...... take ginger for good digestion... and Merry Christmas!"........ It might just spook everyone out....

Well, whatever happens, I'm sure its going to be a memorable occasion this coming Friday.... I'll try to post some pics here if they dont turn out too ugly..... :-]