Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Looong July

July's always feels like the slowest month to pass us by.

I guess it has something to do with being in the middle of the year. You are neither into the New Year nor approaching the end of it. During the beginning of the year, you are usually filled with hope, excitement and expectation for the year ahead. It is like, you have the whole year to look forward to, who knows just what may come your way! The new year brings a new breeze and you feel refreshed. On the other hand, year ends are always a time of celebration, reminiscing and looking back on all that you have done the entire year. What more, Christmas is almost at the time! So way before you even reach them month of December, you get the feel of festivities in the air. People are already starting to talk about year end vacations, Christmas dinners and new year parties.

And then we have the months in between these 2 extremes. There really isn't much to do really. Most of your new years resolutions have probably gone down the drain, and that promotion didn't quite go the way you wanted it to Christmas is too far away to start planning any parties, and new years eve just seems to take forever to arrive.

Of course, for them here in England, its summer time, and most of the people are enjoying the hot summer sun and going on vacation. In my opinion, these are also the times when the papers are filled with the most unpleasant kind of news. A child got kidnapped, attempted suicide bombings in Glasgow airport, terrorist threats in London, floods in KL and what have you. I guess even these terrorist chose the middle of the year to launch their plans, since they have nothing better to do anyway. After all, there isn't really any cause for celebration, the year didn't just start, and its not just about to end. I think in recent months, the most widely covered event was Paris Hilton going to jail, which was really more like fiasco than a jail sentence. (Next thing you know, she'll write an autobiography on how spending those horrible days in jail has made her a better person.) We are all just kinda slugging through this period, going to work, attending classes, doing your shopping, paying your bills, and waiting for the ring of festivities to arrive.

That being said, I guess I am just bored. I spoke to a senior who has been here a year, and he said this to me "There is nothing to do here in Sheffield".. I would not say that's entirely true, but it is the general feeling I get. What do the people here do anyway? Your daily activities cant solely be working, shopping at Sainsbury's, attend football matches, read the papers, watch BBC and go clubbing at night could it? I guess if you are the artsy type, you could visit their museums and galleries, which are quite interesting really, but honestly, 1 visit is more than enough to satisfy, and the second time feels more like visiting boring old pictures.

Perhaps its just the city boy in me talking again. Its not really fair comparing Sheffield to KL. A fairer comparison would be Manchester to KL since both are proper cities. Sheffield is more like a really big town if you ask me.

Its July, and I am already waiting for Christmas to arrive. I want to hear Christmas carols, I want to sing Christmas carols, I want to see the town painted in red, I want to see people busy shopping buying gifts for their loved ones. I want to be busy doing Christmas shopping…. But its not till another 5 months from now… 150 days….. 3600hours….216000hours….12.90million seconds……could time move any slower?

Just about the only thing to look forward to in the month of July, is perhaps my birthday. If you can even consider that something to look forward to…. I'll be turning 22 years old this year… and believe it or not, here's a piece of info for you; I have never smoked a cigarette in my life. Not that I am planning to by the way. Its just one of those things I knew from the very start that I would never do. I have had plenty of opportunities to try my hand at smoking, but I never took any of them up. Its no big deal, and I am fairly certain I aint missing something out of it…. except lung cancer.

What do I want for my birthday this year? I don't know man… I just want to be happy….. I have been for quite some time now. Suffering has put my life in perspective. I don't ask for more, because I know how it feels like to get by with much less. I feel I am closer to God now than I have ever been in my life, I am spending 3 months in a beautiful (albeit slightly boring) foreign land, studying for a British qualification, I have a well paying job with generous perks waiting for me, I have a wonderful girlfriend and a doting mother waiting for me to return, I have my friends to share, play and study with, and I am in good health…I don't have everything I want in life, but I have all that I need to be happy.