Tuesday, June 22, 2004

"welcome to the real world son"

"Welcome to the real world son".

These were the words that came out of my fathers mouth when I told him I lost my wallet.
"don't expect the world to be a nice place son, if you do, you are in big trouble" "You just have to accept the fact that the world is like this. The world is not a forgiving place and you just have to learn from it and make sure it doesn't happen again."

although I do agree with what my father said, I sometimes do wonder to what extent to we have to accept that this world is a 'cruel and unforgiving place' Am I naive if I believe that there are good people in the world, that not everyone is not just waiting for a change to steal your wallet or stab you in the back for you Cadbury bar? Am I lying to myself to think that people are selfless too and that not everyone will steal, rob and manipulate if given the chance?

"You read it in the newspapers everyday, people killing each other, robbing and raping. Don't be surprised if it happen to someone you know. Don't be surprised if it happened to YOU. These things you read are happening around you, not away from you. These 'other people' that you read about are the people around you including you." said my father.

I do admit that what he says is true, but how do you take that advice whole heartedly, become paranoid about your safety and still be able to walk on the street without worrying that someone somewhere is gonna rob/rape/steal/cut your throat? Even around my college, there are always many cases of crime. A friends motor, wallet hp.. It always seems to happen to 'other people'... until it happens to you..

I wonder is I will eventually be like my father. Obsessed with security and suspects all before trusting any. Long ago, he used to be a trusting person, having faith in the good will of other and believing that with a few exceptions, people are generally not that bad. I think I'm like that, for now... But then things happen and my father became very bitter about things, and his whole perspective changed. Today, he is always skeptical of others, not really trusting everyone,knowing through his past experience that everyone only takes care of one person.. themselves...

I do not argue with what he says, they are true. Problem is, the truth can be different depending on how you look at it. Facts on the other hand, are always the same. And the fact is, my wallet was taken by someone, robberies do happen and rapes do occur. We WOULD be fools to not accept that the world is a harsh and cold place. But we would also be depriving ourselves of a whole lot more, if we gave up believing that love, kindness honestly do count for something in this world. And that's a fact.