Friday, January 19, 2007

Money Matters

Well, here we go again; next week I will be sitting for what will (hopefully) be my last exam in this college, provided and don’t fail any of my papers. Then its holidays just before the Lunar new year all the way until May where I should be flying of to the UK for a 3 months summer course.

Of course, things are never that simple.

Chief concern is funding for my little trip abroad. There are 3 possibilities for me. One I take a loan. But the loan offered has a very high interest rate, with equally high repayment plans. Plus, I need a guarantor, who can’t be my parents, but has to earn more than 3k a month. That’s going to be a real challenge; I don’t really have anyone to go to. 2 years ago, I tried asking 2 of my uncles to be my guarantor; I got a job offer to work in Singapore, but it required that I have a guarantor before they were willing to train me for the next 6 months. First one told me “I’m old and retiring soon. I don’t want to take on more burdens.” Second one told me “Sorry, I can’t be your guarantor. It’s a matter of principle.” Well, I didn’t end up going to Singapore, but after that day, I told myself I want as little to do with these relatives as possible. Bunch of jerks! I pleaded with them, asking for help. I wasn’t even asking for any money. Only that they be my guarantor in event that I actually run away from my employers, and I assured them that I would do no such thing. And since when did standing as guarantor for your nephew become an issue against principles? Call it sour grapes, until today my regard for them have remain as low as ever, even if my own brother thinks otherwise. This time round, asking them again was the last thing I wanted to do. I told myself I will make it in life without their help, how can I swallow my pride and ask them now?

But then came the second possibility. Sell our house. The proceeds from this house would more than cover whatever funds I need during my stay there. The house is in my fathers name, but he said it is intended for the both of us, therefore, the both of us should decide. My brother and I spoke about it and the conclusion was we should sell it. Firstly, it was better compared to having to find a guarantor ten be stuck with the repayment after a graduate. Second, and more importantly, though my father said the house was intended for us, he has not gone through with the transfer, because he didn’t pay the lawyers. Our greatest concern is that if anything should happen to him, by default, the house will not go to us, but to his Muslim wife (who he has yet to properly divorce). Just in case you didn’t know, in Malaysia whatever property owned by a Muslim convert goes to his Muslim family at the event of death because they are given priority. Similarly, houses are sold at different prices for Bumiputra’s and non bumiputra’s. Bumiputra lots can’t be sold to non-bumi’s but non bumi lots can be sold the other way. Bumiputra refers to the indigenous people, namely the Malays in Malaysia. It’s among the special privileges of the Malays, which it seems should not and cannot be questioned. It’s not fair, everyone knows that, but our society is not mature enough to publicly debate the matter. We’d crumble like cookies if we tried to do it openly; just look at May 13th 1969. Anyway, the point is, not trying to be gold digger of my fathers property or anything, but I have no wish for what was meant for my brother and I to fall into hands of another woman. But then there is another problem. It probably won’t be in time to fund my studies! For everything to go through takes at best 2 months, but something like 4 months is closer to the truth. That cutting it pretty close, and there is the danger that the money hasn’t arrived at our laps when my fees and tickets are due. But one way or another, we are selling the place. That also means that I’ll be moving out of here after 4 years. Upon my return to Malaysia, I’ll have to find a place to stay because I’ll be without any home to go to! Yup, things are certainly changing again, which is always scary but necessary.

So, all my hopes are pinned on my last option; a sponsorship by a previously stated company. To be exact, it is my girlfriends’ aunts’ husbands’ cousins engineering company. Complicated, I know. Anyway, her aunt asked me to write to them, and I have. All that is left it to keep my fingers crossed and hope for a miracle to happen. A sponsorship will settle my financial woes for my education, but it would mean a working bond with said company for a couple of years. Not a bad thing really, since I would not have to hunt for a job. But I’d be indebted to my girlfriends aunt once again. Maybe its just me, but it feels a bit uncomfortable being so indebted to someone so much; someone who isn’t any way related to me. It’s incredibly ironic when I think of it. My own two uncle, brothers to my father, won’t even stand guarantor for me, and here comes someone who has met me only twice, yet has poured aide on me like I was one of the flood victims in Johor, loaning me money for my studies these past 2 years, and now opening a door to financial sponsorship to me. Even if it doesn’t go through, I remain indebted to her for her efforts.

So, that summarizes it. Besides that, I’m trying to find a job for after my exams. Cant afford to sit around doing nothing. A job would help pay the overdue house bills and hopefully a few other things. First on my wish list is of course a digital camera; something I’ve been ogling for what seems an eternity. Second is enough cash to pay for my air flight to east Malaysia. That’s right! On the 3rd to the 8th of March, I’ll be flying over to Sarawak to stay over at my friends place. By right, I cant afford the tickets, but my friend offered to pay half of it, just so that I can come visit his hometown. I’m not sure what got over him, but I jumped at the chance, and the tickets have been booked. He has promised to show me around his place and even determined to force me to eat some exotic meats, namely bat and snake meat (eeewww…) despite my objections. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, so I guess there’s no point trying to put up too much of a fight with this Sarawakian in his home turf.

I’m really not sure how things are going to work out in the next 4 months, but I can sense that change is coming, its right at my doorstep, telling me I better start packing my things. How my mother’s going to fit into all of these things is beyond me. Something has to change in her heart to make her stop running here and there before she can settle down. Something has to change to make her take her medicine willingly before she can ever get well. They say there is only one constant in life; change. Hopefully, it’s for the better, for me, my loved ones, and especially my mother.

That about it. I better get back to studying.