Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Old friends and New HoPes

A few days ago, I celebrated my birthday. Nothing that special really, but then it was interesting to see how people remember the birthday of others. I didn't expect anyone to actually remember it, seeing how self absorbed everyone usually is, but this year proved me wrong to a certain extent. Other than the people close to me and my immediate family, I didn't think there would be anyone else that would call. As usual the people I expected to remember did remember, but not all. My dad for one didn't seem to remember. He called and spoke to me in the morning, and I just updated him on whats going on with me. But the I guess it slipped his mind.

My darling was talking about my birthday 1 month ahead of schedule and so was my brother. But a few friends that I didn't expect did give me a call. It really meant a lot to me even if it's just a call. The call meant more to me than any present could buy. After having a nice dinner with my darling, my birthday was pretty much uneventful. A few days later, it was an old friends birthday as well as a new friends birthday. A nice time to reflect on how some of my older friendships have seem to dim in a way and new friendships seem so hopeful and full of possibilities. Maybe its natural that people move on eventually. You can't expect a person to cling on to the same friend forever right? It is nice to be able to have a wide range of friends that you know from different places and all of them represent and mean something different to you. I'm grateful that some friends that I am really fond of still managed to remember and give me a call. If they didn't, I would be wondering if I was 'tepuk sebelah tangan' all this while.

But anyway, I will try to maintain old friendships, especially ones that have been a great source of joy and companionship to. New friendships, although still in the making, I will fill with hopes of possible friendships that will last. Not forgetting my darling. Yes events we are lovers, but I think we could not have stayed together for all this time without being friends right?